James 1:27

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the
Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let
the world corrupt you.


Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Mom

My mom was here for 9 days. She left yesterday. It was so amazing having her here. There is just something about moms...they make everything better. She played literally nonstop with Leah, she encouraged her, she praised her, she took her on special outtings, she read endlessly to her- she even slept in the same bed as her!!

She fell in love with Isaiah. I think everyone wonders how they will feel about an adopted, not biological child. I know it is different for everyone. For some people the deep love is instant, for others it takes a lot of time. My mom was not sure how it would feel....although of course she knew she loved him already.

I watched her, before my eyes, fall deeply in love with him. I would see her holding him, rocking him, crying....

My mom has been one of my biggest supporters and encouragers. She has prayed endless hours for me. She prayed me through the toughest experiences of my life. She is the first to be SO excited about good news, or to cry with me about the bad.

Watching her fall in love with her grandson, whom she has prayed fervently for for years, was amazing. It was so humbling to see God not only answered OUR prayers but hers (and many others) as well. Isaiah's story has touched her life in a deep way. What God has done for our family has caused her to know the love of Christ in a new way. It's amazing that when the Lord does something good for someone, the effects can reach so far.

She is part of  Isaiah's story. I love that. She was here in May for our Shine conference. The last day of the conference she had her arm around me as I was sobbing..she was praying to the creator of the universe, our Abba Father, to please bless us with another child. She left a few days after that to go to Taiwan to be with my sister who just had a baby.

A couple days after Everett was born across the world, I called my mom to tell her we might have a son soon. She spent the next week in constant prayer for us. It was an amazing day when I called her, crying, telling her we have our son in the backseat of our car! God added two grandsons to her blessed life, only two days apart.

My mom bought a gift for Isaiah's room- now one of my most treasured possessions. It is a plaque that says

“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine." Isaiah 43:1


The more I ponder this verse, the more perfect it is for Isaiah....the more in awe I am of the Lord. Remember the verse the Lord gave me in Isaiah about being with child when I was in the midst of the fertility struggle and crying out to the Lord? It hit me....I looked up every verse in Isaiah that had the word child. The verse He gave me was the only verse that would have showed me what He wanted me to see. No, I did not get pregnant (yet:)). But, it was so personal that I KNEW it was from Him. Because of that verse, I declared that we would one day have a son and name him Isaiah; and that I would tell everyone what God had done. God would be glorified and magnified!  I declared that Isaiah's life would be a testimony and that he would be a warrior for Jesus. When I read that verse above, I am amazed that truly, the Lord redeemed Isaiah. HE SUMMONED HIM BY NAME. He told me his name would be Isaiah. It is hard to put into words what I am trying to explain here...hopefully it makes some sense.:)

I am so thankful for my mom. I am thankful she is here every time I need her. I am thankful for our growing friendship. I am thankful for the example of the amazing mom that she is. I pray I can be the same kind of mom to my children. I love you mom.

next post: my dad

No comments:

Post a Comment